A Variety of Foams for Limitless Applications
Die Cutting Sponge & Foam Gasket Material
We manufacture sponge gaskets and foam gaskets that range from soft to firm in density and have different physical properties for resistance to chemicals and temperatures. Foam gaskets are flexible with an open cell structure and are used for thermal and acoustic insulation, shock and vibration control, and to seal out dust and moisture. Sponge gaskets and materials have a closed-cell structure and are soft, compressible, and perform well in extreme temperatures. They effectively seal out fluids and are commonly used in outdoor applications and for vibration reduction.
At Die Cut Technologies, we have the capacity to cut any type of foam to specification, and our expert team is here to help determine the exact type of foam that is best for each individual custom gasket.
Differences in the Physical Properties of Sponge Gaskets and Foam Gaskets
The specific properties of foam gaskets vary depending on the type of polymer used. Cross-linked polyethylene foam provides excellent chemical resistance, plus good mechanical and thermal insulation. Polyurethane foam gaskets are used for cushioning and ideal for thermal and acoustic insulation, and dust and moisture sealing. Both compounds perform well in wet environments.
Sponge gasket material is made using a similar method, but the cells produced are more self-contained and evenly distributed. This closed-cell structure provides better compression set resistance and compression recovery and completely blocks the passage of gas or fluid. Materials such as neoprene and silicone deliver superior temperature resistance and many neoprene sponge gaskets also meet UL flame ratings. These properties make sponge gaskets and materials an excellent option for automotive, construction, marine, and HVAC applications.
Sponge Materials and Properties for Die Cutting
Die Cut Technologies offers materials providing a wide operating temperature range and UV or flame resistance. Some of the common materials used for sponge gaskets include:
- Closed Cell Neoprene offers good resistance to acid, alkali, gasoline, and oil. Closed-cell neoprene is excellent for applications that require resistance to UV, oxidation, and ozone in long-term outdoor applications. This series of closed-cell neoprene is a 100% neoprene rubber with a temperature range of -40°F to 150°F (-40°C to 66°C). Neoprene sponge gaskets are available in soft (SCE41NEO), medium (SCE42NEO), and firm (SCE43NEO) durometers.
- EPDM (Ethylene Propylene Diene Monomer) Closed Cell sponge rubber exhibits very good aging properties and compressibility, and offers excellent resistance to ozone and oxidation, making it useful in a variety of industrial and commercial applications.
- Closed Cell Silicone offers excellent sealing qualities, plus compression set, flame, ozone, and UV resistance. This high-end closed cell silicone is widely used for demanding applications and is excellent for applications that encounter extreme temperatures between -103°F and 450°F (-75°C to 232°C). Silicone closed cell sponge is available in soft, medium, firm, and extra firm densities. Silicone sponge gaskets are also available in low compression set, flame retardant, and fiberglass-reinforced grades.
Die Cut Foam Gasket Materials
Cross-Linked Polyethylene Foam (Volara®) has good thermal insulating properties and excellent chemical properties that make it suitable for a wide range of applications. Cross-linked polyethylene foam has a smooth-skinned surface on both sides and is supplied in continuous rolls.
- Open Cell Polyurethane Foam is available in 2#, 4#, and 6# densities in both polyether- and polyester-based formulations. Open-cell polyurethane foam can be found in a variety of applications and industries like an acoustical, appliance, automotive, filtration, industrial, gaskets, marine, military, tapes, dust seals, and speaker surrounds. Standard grades of open-cell polyurethane foam meet both the UL 94 HF1 and FMVSS-302 flammability ratings.
- Micro Cellular Urethane Foam (PORON®) is found in diverse industrial and commercial applications. Our skinned microcellular urethane foam options include medium- to firm-density urethane foams that are engineered in several formulations. These materials offer excellent compression set resistance and are lightweight. Well suited for electrical panel door seals, these materials are cast to the finished thickness and meet UL50, UL508, UL94, and UL514B standards.
- PVC Foam is general-purpose, closed-cell foam with good air, moisture, and dust sealing properties, plus UV and chemical resistance. The density range of 6 to 15 PCF.
Once the best kind of foam has been determined for our client’s specific application, DCT is ready to produce custom gaskets at a competitive price with on-time delivery to meet any deadline necessary.
If you have any questions about the foams that we work with or if you want to receive a free quote for your custom gasket production, contact us and one of our expert team members will be in touch with you within 24 hours.